Updated 25 September 2006
Performing Multiple Servers Patch Diagnostic Summary
- This procedures describes how to perform a Sun Patch Diagnotics for single server.
- A valid "patchdiag.xref" file must exist in the q-Status/conf/ directory.
- The Unix commands showrev -p or patchadd -p. are used to collect patch information.
- The Sun "patchdiag.xref" is located in the q-Status/conf/ directory.
Step Action Description 1 In the "Basic" Icon set,
from the Patches Icon,
In the "Basic" Icon set, from the Patches Icon, move the mouse cursor over text "Summary " till it enlarges. Click the mouse. A server count processing confirm dialog window will be displayed.
Click "OK" will begin the processing. At the completion, the "PatchDiag Selection" Report page will appear.
- Rollover text in purple in any GUI Icon set indicates a summary report will be generated.
- Processing time varies by the number of servers and installed patches.
- Selecting a "Group" prior to clicking on "Summary" will reduce the processing time.
2 Breakdown of Report The "PatchDiag Selection" Report consist of a Header, Patch Filters and Patch Summary table:
- Header Filters
- Selected Patch Release Date Filter.
- Selected Patch Type(s).
- Date of cross reference "patcxhdiag.xref" file.
- WITHDRAWM Patches count.
- Patch Filters
- Patch Release Date Filter
- Patch Type Filter:
- Withdrawn (never dissabled)
- Patch Summary Table
- Percent bar of Patches whose revision are compliant with Sun "patchdiag.xref" file by server.
- Total Number of Patches installed by server.
- Server System type
- Server OS Type
- Date of collection data.
Note: The Table heading "% Current" contains the Percent bar of Patches except in the rare case where no patches are installed. In this case, the text will display "no patches installed". 3 Check for any WITHDRAWN patch
Check the the value of "withdrawn patches:<count>" entry at the top of the page of the "PatchDiag Selection" Report right below the "XREF File Date:". The number indicates that patches are installed with this set of servers appear in the WITHDRAWN patch portion of the Sun "patchdiag.xref".
Note: "withdrawn patches: <count>" will only appear if a patch-revsion is installed on a server in the group which has a WITHDRAWN notice from the "patchdiag.xref" file.
It there is a "withdrawn patches: <count>" entiry in this header, there will be an individual entry in the Patch Summary Table for each the server affected by a WITHDRAWN patch. The individual server WITHDRAWN patch count with be displayed in the "withdawn:<count>" displayed under the Percent bar of Patches for each affected server.
4 Optionally filter patch diagnostics
summary report by patch type.
"PatchDiag Selection" Report provides patch filtering display based on classification embedded in the patchdiag.xref. These classifications are:
- Recommended - Patches that are highly recommended to be installed (default)
- Security - Patches specifically to support Solaris security issues
- Y2K - patches that are specifically for Y2K issues.
The Withdrawn classification is always selected and cannot be de-selected.
Select or de-selected the "Patch Type Filter:" using a check box () or boxes and then click the "Re-Calculate" button to initiate the new filters. The server count processing confirm dialog window will display:
Click "OK" to re-process the report.
5 Optionally filter patch diagnotic
summary report by patch release
Use the "Patch Release Date Filter" pulldown for filter the discrepancy report by age.
Selecting from the pulldown will automatically generate the server count processing. A confirm dialog window will display:
Click "OK" to re-process the report.
6 Optionally filter patch diagnotic
summary report by group.
Selecting from the Group pulldown will automatically re-generate "PatchDiag Selection" Report with the current filter selections.
Since Group filtering of server does not a patchdiag re-calculation, there will be no confirm dialog. Processing will be faster.
7 Display single server "Patch
Move mouse cursor over magifying icon () in a row for that Hostname till it enlarges. Click the mouse. The "Current Patch Diagnostics Listing" report will be displayed for that server.
See "Performing Patch Diagnostic for an Individual Server" for information in navigatastion and use of this report.
8 Help option for the "PatchDiag
Explanations of the "PatchDiag Selection" report filters and options are described in a help windows accessed from the "Help" link. This links is located at the top of page on the right hand side above the "Group:" pulldown.